Friday, February 9, 2007

Coming out of the closet, so to speak


I was just looking through my old ThongSpeed postings. There’s some really cool stuff in there. One of things I found, that I love, is an old conversation I had with Kassy K, the greatest blogger ever!

Now, knowing how Rob has published Kassy’s name and job, it’s pretty creepy to look back at what I wrote about her and my conversation with her. But its still kind of cool! I’ve had a lot of conversations with a lot of you and they all seem pretty creepy now, if you think aboout it. Can you believe that you really thought you were talking to the person I described to be Pagan? You guys will fall for anything! I could have been anyone. I could have been a 65 yearold 400 pound pervert. But I’m not. You know who I am!

Here’s that cool coversation with Kassy I was telling you about. you can also read it here.

My Blog Persona

Redhead in the City: Blog Personas Remix
Thong Speed Q & A

KassyK has a cool post today about the characters she has met in the DC Blogger scene, and the ever-popular theme of “blog personas”.

My blog goes beyond using a persona. It’s actually written in the voice of a fictional character I am developing, Sarah “Pagan” Marbury.

This allows me to maintain a firewall between the blog world and the real world. In my line of work, I don’t really have a choice. I can’t risk losing business or future job prospects.

“Pagan” is not me. Think of it this way- I tell her what to talk about, but the words are hers. Someday her words will become a book.

I’ve recently started injecting more of myself, the author, into the blog. Select posts like this one are written in my own voice, hopefully inviting conversation and increasing my blog’s appeal.

It sucks that I can’t go to Blog Happy Hours, because I think they are a very effective way to market your blog. I love bright, witty, charming people who can drink. It’s my loss, but I hope to develop stimulating and rewarding relationships in the blogosphere. The budding camaraderie I have felt with a lot of you since I relaunched Thong Speed is promising, and I look forward to its continuing.

The other great way is to market your blog is to list yourself on DC Blogs Live Feed, which I hope will list me soon. I am addicted to it!

posted by Pagan Marbury at Thursday, June 01, 2006 | Permalink |

4 Comments:
At 12:47 PM, Offtopia

So Pagan Marbury is a fictional persona who reflects aspects of your character and your experiences?

I haven’t had time to trawl around, I’m sure the answer is here somewhere, but that leaves the questions: What is you and what is Pagan?

Very nice template and writing style ;).
Have you got a publisher?

At 4:51 AM, KassyK

Hey–wish we could meet up too and have a drink but I totally understand. And I also think its cool that you write as a fictional character but that you are still injecting parts of yourself. Makes it that more interesting

At 7:17 PM, Pagan Marbury

offtopia- no publisher yet because there isn’t much of a book. I started the blog to promote the book, and I have notes and everything, but it turned out blogging is more fun than writing actual chapters. Hopefully the blog can be turned into a book, but right now it’s just a hobby.

KassyK- thanks for always being so complimentary about my blog. I love yours too. Maybe someday I will come out of the closet, so to speak, and you will be the first person I call!

At 4:25 AM, KassyK

I look forward to it. And thanks right back at you.

No comments: